Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Longest Day


Last week was odd. I have a theory that the full moon and the high winds made things go kookie. I had one of the most frustrating weeks I can remember, as a cyclist. I missed legendary rides, bonked on the ones I attended, and was plagued by flats on my solo endeavors.

Easter Sunday, I rode with Big Worm, Darien, and Faust. We had a splendid time. Everyone was funny and in good spirits. Worm, fresh from his "Chairs" victory was in cruise mode: Not slow, not fast, but happy and chill. Someone beat Darien on an epic sprint for a yellow sign. It was a good day, and if there is a better way to spend three hours, I challenge you to find it.

Then it was off to Orlando to see the boys play for a record label. This is always happy, and relaxing. All the way there, I was settling local band disputes, acting as a relationship councilor, and trying to guarantee the appearance of said record business guy. In the winds of chaos, somehow the band pulled off a stellar set. Said record business guy was animated and throwing compliments around like dollars at a strip club.

It all ends well. How? I don't know it's a mystery!

I hopped back in my reasonably priced car, and drove through hallucinations, weird gas stations, and bad food, toward home. I took 27 which was delightfully empty and freshly paved. "Hearts of Space" (on NPR) serenaded me back to our fine locale. The story ends with me in my own bed, in a fitful night of tormented manager dreams.

I'm back at work, where everything is predictably boring and I thank (deity of choice) for it.

That's all I have for you Pumpkins. Don't fret, I am working on another homage' to Frank Zappa that will have you clicking over to the BRC before you can say: "Poor spelling, bad grammar, inept punctuation, and weak content!"

W.B.Z.N.

18 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Good post. I think everyone's been having whacky weeks. I know I have. Full moon? Winds? Freezes at the end of March?
Whack-a-world.
But we persevere.

Anonymous said...

I don't know which famous musician said it, but when Zappa passed, I heard him say "Zappa was my Elvis".

I thought that said it all.

And BRC, he's protesting the Olympics or something.

Anonymous said...

"Whack-a-world"
Damn Ms. Moon, that's exactly how it was last week!

Human Wrecking Ball said...

Thanks Ms. Moon, Magunum.
I think the Elvis comment was the guy that did the Simpsons...googled it.
People don't realize what a treasure Zappa was(judging from the zero comments on my "stratocaster" post)-(but I'm not bitter)-(*bastards*!). Even most musicians don't know what a great guitar player he was. I was drawn in by the humor and stayed for the music. He wrote many beautiful, melodic, songs.
It's impossible to find his stuff now. If anyone has a copy of "Joes Garage" let me know!
Mag, but the Kona!
w.b.

Human Wrecking Ball said...

I meant BUY the Kona. Dangit

Anonymous said...

Actually you did mean "but the Kona...", and I finish by saying "will have to wait". I'm prioritizationizin' my loot, and funtime is low on the list.

Joe's Garage? I have Alice's Restaurant; there kinda the same, right?

Human Wrecking Ball said...

They're both funny. I'll take Zappa over Guthrie though....thanks.

Anonymous said...

yep, ditto

Juancho said...

I think it's spelled ZaPaa, and I just don't get it. Why did he hate music so much?

Human Wrecking Ball said...

I know this is a reference to something, but I can't figure out what it is....ZaPaa hated music?
Uh.....what?

Ms. Moon said...

Brown shoes don't make it.

Human Wrecking Ball said...

That's what you get for not taking my advice! (snaps fingers and spins away)

Ms. Moon said...

I'm thinking ankle strap....

Anonymous said...

Zappa? Check out the Russian band called Auktyon. Their new album is Girls Sing and it's definitely along the lines of Zappa.
They have Medeski on organ for the album-very groovy man.

Nostrovya!

And ZaPaa? (ZA -- PAA, ZA is the charge of the atom A skeleton, PAA is the electron charge density on the atom A)
So clearly, Juancho was thinking physics.

Juancho said...

I guess it's just over my head.

Anonymous said...

I want to be a dental floss tycoon.
Dr. D

Human Wrecking Ball said...

I didn't realize Medeski played with Scofield. I had a very strong Dennis Chambers addiction in the 90's and Scofield spent a lot of time on my disc player. Sadly I can't play any of that stuff, but it was great to check out.
I will check Auktyon out. Do they have any songs about hair brushes?
Thanks for the physics lesson. Jeez, now am I not smart enough to post on my own blog!
Bastards!
w.b.

Anonymous said...

yep, nowadays MMW has turned into MSMW (Medeski, Scofield, Martin & Wood). just take a doggie doo snow cone and stuff it in your right eye. -- FZ