Monday, April 27, 2009

Quick Update on the Neck


The good news:

My bone grafts (fusions) are still in great shape. I am not in as much pain as before due to the torturous rest. The Doc does not think my new symptoms are related to my first surgery. The Doc is confident I will be able to ride again. I didn't know you can have up to four fusions with about the same mobility I have now so ...F-it lets cut BIATCH!


The bad news:

Since I have numbness/pain in my fingers and thumb, it would seem that c5/c6 are bad as well as c7/t1. I am not a good candidate for disc replacement. We still need a MRI but the Doc suspects the discs above and below my fusion are deteriorating. I will need at least one, and possibly two fusions, above and below my last. I am on steroids and can't ride til after my MRI (if at all) which means if I need surgery it will be at least two weeks which will keep me out of the woods til deep into August. I will be able to get on the trainer (two weeks after) and get on the road (6-8 weeks after) and if all goes well back on the trails before fall.


I am not that bummed. I got the news I expected. If I need the surgery, I want to get on the schedule as soon as possible. I am sure once he says he has to cut I will have a reaction, but right now I just want to go in.

Thanks for positive thoughts.


W.B.Z.N.

15 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Do I need to light you a candle? Because I will.

Anonymous said...

At least you will have a good excuse to sit out bulk of the too-hot-to-think-about-going-outside weather...

Human Wrecking Ball said...

Sister Moon.....yes please I love the thought thanks.

Anonny, thanks but I would give anything to be out in that hot stinking weather (if I was healthy)
and I will just no trails for a while.

Still thinking about the recumbent. It might be cool to have when the neck is not happy. At least I could pedal.

reverend dick said...

Hey maing, you don't need no escuses to come out here, lounge about and see your F. Loyd Wright house. But if you need one there it is. Lemme know when you wanna come we got room for you and yours.

Human Wrecking Ball said...

Thanks Rev! It's on my list, I would love to come and meet you and your crazed crew. Your family has inspired me to get my kids on bikes. Thanks again man I am really touched.

Ms. Moon said...

Candle lighting will proceed.

Anonymous said...

talk to Dan at OrganicEngines if you're getting a recumbent; he'll make you one that doesn't require the beard or the flag.

bikediet said...

Tuesday night garage trainer rides at Terry's house?? Blood in and blood out. These excuses to quit hanging out with us are not good enough.......

RickySilk said...

Hey dude! I lit you two mother trucking candles up in this bizzznatch!!!!

Human Wrecking Ball said...

Thanks everybody, I am feeling the love. The steroids are making me feel like super man and I still can't ride!
Diggin the candles but the guy that really needs our positive thoughts is Slade...HE GOT THIRD!

Mingo said...

Thanks for the report I was curious. We missed you on the Monday night casual/kids/beginner ride. Colter always wants to know if you are going to be there. He is disappointed when your not. It really doesn't bother me so much. Please, bring the boys to Tom Brown next Monday.

You’ve really done something to impress my son, he holds you in high regard.

bikechain said...

killer f-ing picture.

AucillaSinks said...

Thanks for the report WBZN.

That photo is really cool. I know you stole that one for somebody's site, fess up!

Juancho said...

that awesome pic is a good omen.

Human Wrecking Ball said...

Thanks everybody. I took that pic on my last long ride before my neck blew out. I was going to right a blog about getting back in shape with a "road to redemption" theme. Sadly the universe had other plans.
I took that pic (with my phone camera)and never checked it until I wrote this blog, and as they say..."there it was". A happy shot of me riding. I hope to take another one as soon as this neck thing is resolved!
Thanks again all.